Saturday, January 5, 2013

Show Review: Fear of Missing Out 2013


First Friday of 2013?  Might as well go to a concert.  And why not Fear of Missing Out 2013 at The Echo/Echoplex?



I had only heard of a few of the bands in FOMO's lineup and didn't really know what to expect but I mean, $8 concert, hey, sounds good to me.
I saw at least some parts of every band's set - I liked how the set times were organized so that one could do that.  However, only two of the sets really stood out to me: James Supercave, and (of course) The ABIGAILS.

Not only is their music pretty original, their performance was great too.  The frontman and keyboardist kept the audience entertained - both danced throughout the entire set, and made me wish I could get into music they way they do.  Watching them actually put a smile on my face.  Not even kidding right now, it's awesome to see someone really feeling the music they're playing (unlike most of the other bands that night, where the musicians would just stand in one place and stare blankly...not mentioning any names here).   The only qualm I had was how the frontman seemed to be the only person on the stage - the drummer (also skilled and deserving some spotlight) was far back and in the dark, the keyboardist was way off to one side, and the second guitarist and bassist were on the other side crammed together and almost couldn't be seen behind equipment and speakers.  Not saying the frontman was bad or anything - he has a great vocal range AND stage presence, but I felt like each member deserved a bit more recognition.  After all, they worked well together as an entire band and each person was obviously skilled.  Still, probably the best set of the night, if not tied with
Yes, I know I've been blogging about them a bit much recently, but they're music has really grown on me.  They were the only other band with any stage presence, and the only band with any notable audience interaction.  Frontman Warren Thomas was obviously drunk and therefore rude, loud, and getting off topic instead of playing - but somehow this just added to The ABIGAILS' weird charm.  He downed drinks on stage then threw the empty cans over the audience, and even poured beer straight into an audience member's mouth, but he never overdoes it.  It was the best (and only) interaction with the audience I saw, and everyone loved it.  They even played an encore song, and I didn't see one person who wasn't swaying at least a bit throughout their set.  I also found their drummer very impressive - The ABIGAILS' music doesn't have hard drum parts, but her style is enthralling.  It's almost surgical, every movement she makes is so precise.  She also just has a really interesting and darkly beautiful look to her, but that's beside the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment