Monday, January 21, 2013

Modern: We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace and Magic 7/10



Foxygen experiments.

This is the sentence I have come up with to fully describe them.

I have a deep love for The Velvet Underground - and Foxygen sounds sufficiently similar, especially with No Destruction.  This entire album is a throwback to that simple kind of music with the easy guitar chords and relaxed vocals (it never sounds like the singer is trying too hard or straining his voice, he's just singing as it comes).  The occasional shift in melody, key and style that occurs in songs like Shuggie is surprising, but fitting (especially the backing chorus).  They may be heavily influenced by bands we all know and recognize, but still throw in a few twists.

This album is nostalgic, but not so much so that it is unoriginal.  Foxygen's experimental sound combined with their classic rock influences entirely satisfies my musical taste. (They're also from the valley area, where I grew up so I just have a soft spot for them. Don't hate on the 818!)

I'm just going to throw this in here: I honestly think No Destruction is a 10/10.  If you listen to only one song on the album, let it be this one.  It's been looping through my head for the last two weeks.


Listen to it here before the CD comes out tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment