Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Modern: 13.0.0.0.0 6/10


Really excited to see This Town Needs Guns's tweet that the stream of 13.0.0.0.0 came out and so I listened to it immediately.

Much anticipated...and definitely good.  But I feel like this album was the slightest bit overrated.
Don't get me wrong, I definitely have fun listening to it.  But nothing completely sticks out to me.  Each song is yes, touching, soft, etc. etc. but that was the same for all of them.  No one song seemed to me to be too memorable.
Again, don't get me wrong.  There are high and low points of the album, and it really shows how well This Town Needs Guns works together as a band - there is never one part where I feel like each musician's skill wasn't displayed to its' full effect.  And it uses quirky riffs in a bittersweet way, like in A Different Kind of Tall (small).  I especially loved Nice Riff, Clichard, with the overlapping and the juxtaposition of fast and slow, and 13.0.0.0.1, which wraps up the album and leaves a slight taste of despair, like in the aftermath of the apocalypse (as referenced in the title).

Listen to the free stream here before the CD comes out January 22.

No comments:

Post a Comment